Project Cost : 9,100
Dispatched in: 3 Days
Project Code: 1601
You will get a CD with this project:
CD contains following things:
- Project Report in pdf format and in doc (word) format
- Circuit diagram
- PCB layout
- Microcontroller program in assembley language
- Hex file of the microcontroller code
- Datasheets of all the components / ICs used in the project
Download Synopsis of the project
Why this system is required? Or what are the current scenarios?
Security is the main concern for everyone. Everyone wants to live securely in his/her house. Everybody wants themselves to keep safe or secure from various incidents like theft in their house or accidents caused due to LPG gas leakage or accidents due to fire in their house. Now days many times we hear news about house robbery or theft in some houses, bungalows, flats. These robberies or thefts take place when nobody is in house or in some cases we find that robbery take place even if people are in their houses. Another bad news we hear is about accidents are caused or blast happens because of LPG gas cylinder leakage. In house we find that LPG gas is commonly and widely used for cooking purpose. So in every kitchen we find that LPG gas cylinder is placed. However due to some reasons, LPG gas might leak from these cylinders. And because of this LPG gas leakage, fire might be ignited or it can even cause the LPG gas cylinder blast. Which can damage the house or in even worst situations, it can cause life threat to the person living inside the house. Another problem / fear are about fire in our house. There can be various reason of this fire being ignited or house getting caught in fire. Reason of fire can be electrical short circuit or due to some other things like candles or oil lamps kept inside our house or because of fireworks in festival season. Early detection of all these problems is really necessary. Sometimes fire lighted is small but if proper attention is not paid to it or if proper actions are not taken to control this fire, then it can convert into big tragedy as this fire can spread in complete house. Same with LPG gas leakage, if it is detected on time and if it is controlled on time then it can avoid a big accident. Also in case of robbery it would be beneficial if we can blow some alarm. Let’s take an example that we are out of our home and theft is going on in our house. In such case if we are intimated about theft then we can inform our neighbors, then they can create some noise or take some appropriate action so that this theft can be avoided. Let’s take another problem; sometimes key of our home is lost. If we do not replace our lock and if these keys are found by thieves then it can cause robbery. We all know that duplicate key can be created within few minutes and also key duplication is easy. These are the disadvantages of traditional locking system which uses a key and a lock. To overcome all the above stated disadvantages of existing system we have designed a GSM based home security system. It can avoid these undesirable situations, hazardous conditions like LPG gas leakage, fire ignition and theft.
This project has 3 basic modules along with a GSM modem. GSM modem is used to send the SMS whenever there are changes in any of the three modules.
First module of this project detects if any person is entering inside the house. This feature is helpful at night time or whenever we are out of our home.
Second part of project serves the functionality of a door-latch opening using a password entered through keypad. As well as sending this data to a GSM modem through serial port. This module also turns on buzzer if 3 wrong passwords are entered consequently. User can change this password anytime he/she wish using a keypad.
Third module uses LPG gas sensor to detect the gas leakage. If there is leakage then buzzer is turned on.
Description in detail:
It mainly consist of following blocks
1. Infrared Transmitter: We are going to implement the Person detection module using 1 transmitter and 1 receiver. We are going to use InfraRed transmitter because infrared beams are not visible to human eyes. Transmitter used is IR LEDs
2. Receiver: We are going to use an Infrared receiver. It is an active low device which means it gives low output when it receives the Infrared rays.
3. Microcontroller: This is the CPU (central processing unit) of our project. We are going to use a microcontroller of 8051 family. The various functions of microcontroller are like:
I. Reading the digital input from infrared receiver to find whether person is entered inside house or not. II. Sending this data to LCD so that the person operating this project should read the number of persons inside the room. III. Sensing the password using keypad and to check whether it is a correct password or a wrong password and rotate the stepper motor if the password entered is a correct password. IV. Sending the data to the GSM modem using serial port. This data consist of number of persons inside the room and the status of entered password (Correct/wrong)
4. LCD: We are going to use 16×2 alphanumeric Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) which means it can display alphabets along with numbers on 2 lines each containing 16 characters.
5. GSM Modem: We are going to use sim300 as a GSM modem. The status of persons inside the room, LPG Gas leakage status and the status of entered password (Correct/wrong) will be sent to GSM modem.
6. Keypad: User will enter the password using the keypad. Various keys of keypad are as following,
I. 0 to 9 II. Enter III. Escape
1) This project has its main application in security system. This project can be used in home as SMS based domestic security system. It will be really useful for the security of flat, bungalow or any row house. It can be used in our house for theft detection at night time. The other part of the project (password detector) can be used to automate the door locking process, so the user need not to carry the door lock keys along with him, he/she can just remember the password and use it later to open the door.
2) Various parameters monitored in this project like LPG gas leakage, theft detection and overheat due to fire are also applicable for industrial purpose as well. So this system can also be used in industries as a GSM based industrial security system.
3) We can use this project in Restaurants as well as hotels, since LPG Gas cylinders are majorly used for cooking purpose in hotels and restaurants. Also they are very much prone to fire. So this project can be fitted in cooking section or kitchen of hotels. We can also use this project for the lodging rooms in hotels or rented rooms in a hotel. User will be provided a password to enter in this room and various parameters in this room will be monitored.
4) This project can be used in hospitals. We need to do little bit modifications for use in hospital. We can add oxygen gas sensor to detect the leakage in oxygen gas cylinders, as it can also cause fire. The password operated locking section can be used in hospitals for those rooms which have limited access like rooms with chemical or x-ray machine units. So only authorized person can gain access to this areas/rooms/sections.
1) Remote indication: With the use of GSM technology owner of the house or industry get remote indication through SMS. So even if the user is away from home or industry, he/she will be intimated about the hazardous or undesirable conditions / situations inside the house.
2) This system is fully automated. So once this system is installed inside home or industry, then it does not require any human interaction to operate.
With the use of this system we can save the life of person inside home / industry. Since the accidents caused due to fire and LPG gas leakage can cause life threat.
3) Also the property inside house and various materials inside the house and industry are saved from to theft and from fire detection.
4) This system is Cost effective. Also it is Fast and efficient
1) Voice announcement system can be added to indicate device conditions. We can add voice announcement system along with the buzzer so if there are hazardous parameters detected then respective voice message will be announced.
2) We can add fingerprint sensor instead of password based door operating. So entry will be allowed for the authorized person using their fingerprints.
3) We can monitor and control more parameters and devices.We can implement other related modules like fire sensor, wind sensor.
Video of the project: GSM based Home Security System
Youtube video coming soon
Question and answers about this project:
Question: Can we use PIR sensor instead of IR sensor? Can we do interfacing of PIR sensor with microcontroller to detect person or thieves entering in our house?
Answer: PIR sensor will not be useful for this application. Reason is that the PIR sensor has a long range, almost 5 meters. Thus it covers a large area. It can detect person inside room as well. But the purpose of using IR sensor in Home security system is to detect if somebody enter inside home through window. And for this purpose we should have narrow beam of IR rays which should cut only when somebody enters through window. But if PIR sensor is kept in window then it will detect somebody inside house also.
Question: Which GSM modem is used in this project ? Can we use our handset instead of the GSM modem?
Answer: We have used SIMCOM900 GSM modem (also called simcon900) and we can not use mobile handset.
Question: Can we use smoke sensor or fire sensor to detect the fire in the home?
Answer: As of now, we don’t have smoke sensor, but we can add temperature sensor to detect fire and can turn on alarm.
Question : I need sensor to detect if the door open then will send SMS by GSM also.
Answer : We can use IR sensor inside the door. If door is closed then rays will be reflected from door and if door is open then there will be no reflection
Do you have question or any feedback about this project?
Please email us your questions or write comments below.
Submit your review