Automatic Room light Controller with Visitor Counter
Project Cost :
Available in: 3 Days
Project Code: 1101
You will get a CD with this project:
CD contains following things:
1) Project Report in pdf format and in doc (word) format 2) Circuit diagram 3) PCB layout
4) Microcontroller program in assembley language
5) Hex file of the microcontroller code
6) Datasheets of all the components / ICs used in the project
Main concept behind this project is known as "Visitor counter" which measures and displays the number of persons entering in any room like seminar hall, conference room. LCD display placed outside the room displays this value. And when number of persons inside the room is zero, power supply inside the room can be cut using a relay interface, thus relay does the operation of "Automatic room light controller". This project can be used as Bidirectional person counter as well.
Description in detail:
Following are the important modules in this project:
1. IR Transmitter: We have implemented the Person counter module using 2 transmitters and 2 receivers.
We have used Infra-Red transmitters. Reason behind choosing IR LED is, infrared beams are not visible to human eyes. Transmitters used are IR LEDs.
2. IR Receiver: We have used an IR sensor - Infrared receiver. It is an active low device, which means it gives low output when it receives the Infrared rays.
3. Microcontroller: This is the CPU (central processing unit) of our project. We have used 89s51 which is a microcontroller of 8051 family. The various functions of microcontroller are like
I. Visitor counter section - Reading the digital input from two infrared receivers and calculate the number of persons from them.
II. Display - Sending the count to LCD so that the person operating this project should read the number of persons inside the room.
III. Automatic Room Light controller section - Microcontroller turns on the Room Light when person count is greater than or equal to one. And turn off lights when count is zero. This is done by Relay. Since relay is used, you can connect an AC bulb or DC bulb as per your requirement.
4. LCD Display: We have used 16x2 alphanumeric Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) which means it can display alphabets along with numbers on 2 lines each containing 16 characters.
5. Relay: We have used 12 volt relay. A transistor is used to turn on relay through microcontroller.
6.Darlington pair: It is used to increase the current gain. Output of 555 IC is given to the Darlington circuit. And output of Darlington pair is given to IR led, thus it increases current through Infrared LEDs which helps in increasing the range.
How to give demo of this project:
There are 2 transmitters and 2 receivers placed infront of each other. Swap your fingers (not single finger) or any object (like mobile) in front of those sensors. Then microcontroller will increment or decrement the counter. Once the count is non-zero, the relay is turned on.
Enhancement added to this project: We can add LDR - Light Dependant Resistor in this project. Purpose of LDR: LDR will detect the sunlight in the room (or we can say detect daytime)
If there is enough sunlight in the room (which means it is a daytime) then the relay will not be turned on. In this mode it will work only as a Person counter to save the electricity and works as enery saver.
And if there insufficient light in the room then only the relay will be turned on so as to turn on the bulb.
Applications and Advantages:
1. This project can be used in various rooms like seminar hall, where the capacity of room is limited and should not be exceeded. Project will display the actual number of persons inside the room.
2. Can be used in class rooms, conference room, study rooms in colleges.
3. This project can also be used in our home because many times we come out of our bedroom and forgot to turn off the room light.
3. When there are nobody inside the room then lights are turned off, thus this project helps in energy conservation.
1. We can send this data to a remote location using mobile or internet.
2. Voice alarm system can be added to indicate that room is full & persons can’t enter inside.